If I Could Change the World….
1) Adjust Child Support specifications. Child support should be a set amount…it shouldn’t be based on what a parent/party makes in wages. If it costs, for example, $300 (example!) per month to raise, clothe, feed, water and care for a child then that should be the set amount for every single child. Child support should not increase or decrease because a parent makes more or less than another. Too many parents (receiving child support) are taking advantage of this system. One parent should NOT go into debt to pay for the other parent’s lifestyle. Sorry. If it costs $300 a month to support a child then THAT is what it costs! Of course you have to allow for medical expenses and the like, there are certainly exceptions but there should be a base amount set and whether a parent makes $15,000, $50,000 or $500,000 they should only have to pay that base amount.
2) And while I’m spewing out about children I am so fed up with people taking advantage of the system, that I am of the belief that if you can’t afford to take care of your child/children you shouldn’t have them. This statement is directed at the many MANY (way too many) people who have decided to allow Welfare (an in turn US) pay for their children. If you can’t afford to support your children then you should watch as your children are put into Foster Care UNTIL you get a job and can support them all on your lonesome. Can you imagine how life as we know would change?? Wouldn’t it be great if we could stop paying for everyone else to live? And isn’t it strange that these same people who are incapable of working or supporting themselves and their children ALWAYS seem to have money for Tim Horton’s, for cigarettes and, of course, for booze. Oh Canada, eh?
3) I would make Social Services step in and assist with the job hunting. If you are taking advantage of the lovely Welfare system, but are fully capable of working then you should certainly be forced to go out and (appropriately) apply for employment. AND you should be forced to report your activities – job searching, interviews, applications filled out, etc. Get on it! I have two jobs….I’ll be happy to give you one of mine, dammit!!
4) People who make false claims of anything (abuse, harrasment, sexual assault/abuse, etc.) would get dinged AND HARD! If a person alleges that he or she has been victimized by someone for his or her selfish gain (for the other party to lose custody, pay more child/spousal support, or for the allerger to get more money from Social Services, etc.) and the allegations are false, then that particular party should be reprimanded in the most harsh way. The people who do these types of things are evil. Do they not realize that the accusations they’re making can ruin lives…and, in many cases, not only the alleged person but any children that are involved as well. WTF? If you want more money, go get a job, asshole!
5) Spousal support is stupid. If you are an individual who is fully capable of working then get a job! Why should you rely on other people to support you?
6) I also don’t necessarily agree with an ex-spouse latching onto his/her ex-spouse’s pension. I think if a person worked for 40+ years for that pension then no one else should be entitled to it….especially when the other party is capable of working. Again, get a job and support yourself.