Welcome to SANDYLAND!!

I Survived!

Howdy.  I’m back home after getting thru my eye surgery earlier this week.  I’d like to say I was brave, but I was not.  I bawled like a baby.  It was not a pretty sight.  Thank goodness for my mommy who was with me.  And for the nurses and other patients who tried to get me to stop crying toughen me up.

Mom and I headed to the City at 6am.  I had to be at the hospital by 7:30 to register and all that jazz and we barely made it.  Traffic was ridiculous and the rainy/foggy weather didn’t help.  We weren’t there very long when I got called in.  I had to change into the lovely johnny shirt and robe and then go into the pre-op room.

Can I rock the op scrubs, or what?

The pre-op room had several other patients and each had a nurse.  Some patients were preparing for surgery and some were just coming out.  I sat with my nurse, a lovely lady named Brenda.  She asked me some questions and then I started crying.  I am not brave.  I’m not gonna lie.  The idea of having needles in my face and eye scared the shit out of me and I was not prepared to handle it well.  So I freaked out and started crying.  So bad that the nurse eventually brought my mom in to sit with me until it was time for surgery.

Please keep in mind that I was the youngest person waiting for surgery…the condition with my eye is something rare and “never happens” to someone my age.  So, I was probably 25-30 years younger than the next youngest person.

The nurse put the shunt in my hand for which my iv of drugs would be attached later.  Because of my heart condition, she also had to order a cardiogram right away…that was fun.  Nothing like having your breasts exposed to a stranger in a strange place.  But that was over and done with quickly.

I stopped crying.  Then started.  Then stopped.  This went on for a while.  Eventually the surgeon came out to chat with me and said to my mom “How am I supposed to operate thru all those tears?”  Yeahhh, your concerns are a little lighter than mine, buddy.  Figure it out.

Actually, I should be nice.  The surgeon is super duper and I am quite thankful to him.

Eventually I was rolled away (in tears, but not kicking and screaming) into the operating room.  The nurse in there chatted me up, trying to take my mind off things but I called her out on it.  I hopped onto the operating table, got a pillow under my knees, got the drug tube in my shunt and quickly faded.  Although I was awake thru the surgery I don’t remember anything.  The only thing I remember was starting to cry again partway thru and heard Dr. O say “she’s crying” and asked me if I was okay.  I didn’t answer…I don’t know if I couldn’t or if I was just too emotional but he again said “she’s crying” and then I was out of it again.  I mentioned this to Dr. O the next morning and he said that once he heard me crying he got the drug doctor “anesthesiologist” to give me some more meds.  Smart guy!

Now, most people who had returned from the surgery while I was waiting to go in were pretty coherent.  Not me.  I had way too many drugs in me.  I was like drooling Homer Simpson.


My mom was brought back in to wait with me.  I remember the nurse talking to her about post surgery stuff…but I don’t really remember much of what was said.  I slept-ish in the chair for a while and eventually mom took me to the patient lodge across the street where I slept for a few hours.  Once I was awake I was ready to have some food and a big glass of water.

I was not feeling too hot

My mom was keeping people posted thru the day on the surgery and afterward.  She posted on Facebook at one point that I was “very weepy” which is a complete understatement.  But even afterward I was, for some reason, emotional.  When talking to Blair later in the day I got choked up and teary-eyed…probably from the drugs and the stress of the morning. 🙂

In the evening I had some visitors, which was nice and some unexpected.  And Lisa Lou brought me treats.  Whoop-de-whoop!  Thanks again, Lisa. ❤

I had to see the surgeon again at 7 the next morning and he said everything went well.  Unfortunately, we won’t know until Christmas (at the earliest) if the surgery was a success.  Here’s hoping.  He said there’s 80% chance my vision will improve but it could be up to two years to get it back to normal….IF there is a change at all.  So I’m praying.

I was happy to get home and I think Winston missed me.

Aww, someone wanted to cuddle.

At this point I have 3 incisions in my eyeball and two small needle marks just below my lower lash lid.  I have to take 3 sets of drops four times a day and am not allowed doing much.  At this point I’m not permitted to tie my own shoes (thank goodness for flip flops).  I have to wear my shield and/or my sunglasses for protection.  Thank goodness I have Willy Wonka style sunglasses.

I like ’em big!

My retina is now unprotected and my eye has to stay dilated all the time to help protect it.  If I get anything in my eye I’m up shit creek.

Today I went for a walk and my mom took me to get some groceries.  I had plenty of people staring at me and I think I scared a little boy.  A little old (OLD!) man on a scooter in the grocery store drove up to me and said “You need to lay off the boxing!”

I’m telling people I beat up ninjas

This is me today…I’ve got a bit of a shiner, I can’t open my eye all the way and there’s that kooky dilation.  Not too bad.  The incisions hurt and the drops are like shards of glass going in my eye but other than that I feel pretty okay.   Fingers crossed for constant improvement.


Favorite Facebook comments from after surgery – and yes, my friends are assholes 🙂 :

Anthony:  You’re kinda a cross between a bee, and a pirate. (My favorite.)

Jason: Wow, already got your Halloween costume ready.. nice

Dedra:  I still love ya even if you are a one eyed bandit!

Elizabeth: Yay one eyed beauty

Matt: looks like you’re ready for a star trek convention

Lisa: even doped and sporting the eye patch…you’re still one sexy lady! :p

Anne: Do you have a wooden peg leg too?

Blair Sr.: who hit u?

Vanessa: ARGG! Sorry! I had to!

Ryan: you know… most pirates have a parrot, just say’in

Brian: Do you have a matching metal colander to put on your head…to keep the alien brain waves out???


10 responses

  1. Good thing you have an excuse as I see a grammer mistake :s

    September 30, 2012 at 6:21 pm

  2. What’s the grammar mistake? And you spelled “grammar” wrong. Hahaha. xox

    September 30, 2012 at 6:29 pm

  3. 1st no fair you fixed it. 2nd well phones spell check didn’t come up so whatever! I’m not the blogger now am I.

    September 30, 2012 at 8:05 pm

  4. Ahahahaah!! Technically it wasn’t a grammar error…it was just an error. My bad. 🙂

    September 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm

  5. fashionforlunch

    I don’t care about errors. I care about content and passion x

    September 30, 2012 at 8:14 pm

  6. FFL if there was a “Like” button for your comment I’d be clicking it now. 🙂

    September 30, 2012 at 8:17 pm

  7. Cat

    Just seeing this now. Darned junk mail folder… Love all the picture updates. Even when you are not feeling too hot you look pretty – the pallor brings out your eyes (well, the one you can see, despite eing sad) and the awesome definition of your lips. China doll. (Oops, I shouldn’t mention dolls, right?) Hope you “see some improvement” soon, bad pun intended, LOL.

    October 3, 2012 at 11:52 am

  8. Cat

    (Extra reply to tick off email notification)

    October 3, 2012 at 11:53 am

  9. Pingback: Pleateaus | Sandy the Social Butterfly

  10. Pingback: One Year | Sandy the Social Butterfly

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s