Is there anything more entertaining in Hollywood than the bromance? Seriously, I think a good bromance is healthy and sweet and fun…and hysterical. In fact, I love them so much that I’ve posted on them before (see The Best BROMANCE on TV)
Here are a few of the best bromances in Hollywood.
THE FRAT PACK
Back in the 90’s Hollywood opened its doors to a slew of new young up-and-comers including Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, my boyfriend Cole Hauser, Rory Cochrane, Vince Vaughn, and Chris O’Donnell, to name a few. This group of guys rotated in the same circles, same movies, and even same homes, often sleeping on each other’s couches off and on for several years. Most of these guys are still good friends and still pop up in each other’s films.
Check out this episode of Dinner for Five with Jon Favreau, Vince Vaughn, Cole Hauser, Rory Cochrane, and Brian Cox (a bit of an oddball choice here) and make sure you watch “The Phone Booth” at 19:15 for some laughs.
SIR IAN MCKELLAN and SIR PATRICK STEWART
These two are acting royalty and they have had an ongoing love affair, bromantically, for years. They have appeared on screen together numerous times (obviously including all the X-Men movies), as well as on stage. Their friendship is one of longevity, laughter, and love. We can all strive for this kind of affection.
Watch the Sirs play the Newlywed Game. Too funny!
It’s like everything they do is perfection.
Old Man BFFs!!! #squadgoals
MICHAEL FASSBENDER AND JAMES MCAVOY (and HUGH JACKMAN)
Speaking of the X-Men movies, let us not forget the most recent bromance from that franchise. That being Michael Fassbender (playing young Ian McKellan) and James McAvoy (playing young Patrick Stewart).
(Fun fact: Patrick Stewart has two roles in common with James McAvoy: McAvoy played Macbeth in ShakespeaRe-Told: Macbeth while Stewart played him in Great Performances: Macbeth and Stewart played Professor Charles Xavier in X-Men, X-Men 2, X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Wolverine, and X-Men: Days of Future Past, while McAvoy played him in X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, and X-Men: Apocalypse. They also each share the role of Macbeth with their respective Magnetos, Ian McKellan and Michael Fassbender (IMDB).
Apparently, James and Michael have a huge fan-base for their bromance. People have dedicated fan-art and fan-fiction to the friendship between these two. It’s not hard to see why, they do seem to have that..spark.
Hugh Jackman (newest future husband!) sometimes seems like a third wheel but, watch the threesome’s appearance on the Graham Norton show and you can see why he is included in this as a trio. Like Dinner for Five, I have watched this interview over and over. It is hilarious! It actually makes me want to be part of a bromance.
*sigh* Again, #goals.
HUGH JACKMAN and ANY Co-Star!
It is no secret that Hugh Jackman is one of the nicest, most charming men in Hollywood. And it seems all of his co-stars fall madly in love with him too. Aside from the trio above, Hugh is loved by many:
HUGH JACKMAN and Jake Gyllenhaal
HUGH JACKMAN and Patrick Stewart
Here’s that X-Men connection again. These two have appeared onscreen together a bazillion times and it seems like their friendship just.might.last.
HUGH JACKMAN and Ryan Reynolds
Although they totally troll each other on social media and in interviews, these two seem to have a fun bromantic chemistry. The two have been friends for years (having worked together on X-Men: Origins – Wolverine) and like to pop up in each other’s lives here and there. Ryan even hijacked Hugh’s interview while he was doing press for Eddie the Eagle (a great movie, btw).
It seems that these two good ol’ boys do have a sweet affection for each other. One that almost borderlines…Single White Female.
Wouldn’t the world be such a better place if we could all love our co-workers as much as all of these mates seem to.
I’ve heard some dumb and funny things this last week. And in lack of anything else to write about I’ve decided to post the best comments of the week.
1) By far, the dumbest thing I’ve heard in a long time:
Last week I was standing next to a group of people, all parents, all in their late 20’s-early 30’s. One of the ladies, while holding her daughter, said to the group: “Girls run in my family so by sure I’m gonna have a girl.” Um…..that’s not how that works.
2) My friend (and fellow asshole) Jaime and I went on a road trip this past weekend and stayed at a hotel. Our room number was 710. We’d gathered our bags and got on the elevator and just before the door closed Jaime hollered to the concierge and reception “What floor is room 710 on?” They both looked at her like she was stupid (naturally) and the three of us dryly replied “Seven.” Ohmergerd.
3) My adorable 5 year old nephew, A. loves to antagonize my mother for her fear of snakes. One day last week he said to her “I want to have a pet boa constrictor.” My mother, in disgust, said “Ew…why would you want one of those things as a pet? Why wouldn’t you want a pet kitty??” Nephew quickly replies “I’m allergic to cats.”
4) Back to Jaime again…in the evening at our hotel I was jonesing for something sweet so we walked down to Dairy Queen (apparently the only place to get ice cream in that area!). Jaime wanted a waffle cone with sauce (or something) on it. The clerk behind the counter didn’t understand exactly what she wanted so instead of figuring out to just add “extra stuff” per the menu board he simply said nope, he can’t do it. Jaime says “That’s ReDQulous.”
5) Back to adorable nephew, A…as I mentioned a few weeks ago, I’ve had bronchitis. Midway thru it I had laryngitis for several days and on a Sunday I’d lost my voice completely. This was a day that I had to participate in a family gathering. I did my best not to talk much but when my nephews arrived my mom told A. to ask me something and then, upon hearing my scratchy, non-existing voice she told him “Aunt Sandy has a frog in her throat.” A. got me to open my mouth so that he could inspect my throat. He said “I don’t see it.” Cute. We all had a chuckle. A bit later, A. leaned into my mom and asked “Did she really eat a frog?”
The other night I got a message from my friend Anic. She had started a new job that day so I’d texted her asking her how it went. She replied “good” except “I got lost and thought ‘Crap! What would Sandy do?‘ Then, out of nowhere some gentleman happened to be walking past and I asked for directions. He offered to walk with me because he was going that way. We introduced ourselves. His name is SANDY.”
I thought this was a) hilarious b) too cool to be a coincidence c) a sign that I should start a running post titled “What Would Sandy Do?”
So…please, by all means, if you’re struggling with something, feel free to ask me what I would do. In the interim here are a few mock up scenarios in case you’re ever in a pinch:
1) Not single or not interested but at a party/club where a dirty old man (or woman) who’s had entirely too much to drink will not stop hitting on you. Unlike some people who would throw a fit or have him threatened or kicked out, I would Woo him! Hells yeah. Ask him what he’s making you for breakfast in the morning. Tell him you have a 2 year plan (because, let’s face it, you’re not getting any younger and there’s no time for a 5 year plan) and you expect to have a ring on your finger within 6 months. And don’t forget to talk about kids. And destiny. Ain’t destiny grand? How it brought the two of you together on this winter’s eve. And, if he’s getting a little fresh, don’t hesitate to announce, loud and clear to the entire room, that he should remove his hand from your ass. Make him the center of attention. Men love that.
2) Like Anic, if I were lost in a strange City, I too would certainly ask for directions. OR, I would randomly break out into my own personal flash mob, dancing like a maniac, hoping passersby would throw change at me so I could go buy a map. Flash mobs are cool.
3) At a Zumba class and don’t know the moves? Forget the instructor. Bust a move to your own drum. In other words, make up your own dance moves and rock that joint.
4) Got a friend who’s a little klutzy? If you’re walking along and he/she trips don’t bother to help. GET YOUR CAMERA OUT and take as many candids as possible.
There is more to come…it’s been a long day. I’m tired. And hungry. But mostly tired because, once again I did not sleep last night but had to get up, go to work, then the gym, then to Zumba. I’m tired. Did I mention that I’m tired? So, if you deep concerning questions…please feel free to ask me WWSD?